Q: Who should I call if I have questions about my gas bill?
A: Please call Inuvik Gas directly at 777-3422. We would be happy to discuss any issues you may have and answer any questions or concerns. We do want to hear from you.
Q: It seems my most recent bill is a lot higher than usual, including my Gigajoule (GJ) usage. Is there a reason why?
A: There could be a number of reasons for this, which we have outlined below. We would be happy to discuss your specific situation – please call us at 777-3422 and we can review your bill.
- The most recent billing cycle was 35 days because of the end-of-year holidays, which is longer than the usual 28-30 day billing cycle.
Please note that our customers’ meters are read on a cycle. Different customers may have their meters read at different times during the month. Every bill is based on a meter reading – there are no estimates done.
- The rate per GJ increased in February 2013, so any comparisons to last December or January would be comparing to the previous rate.
- Each household’s consumption varies depending on how frequently appliances are used, whether they have been recently serviced, whether filters have been replaced, etc.
- Cold weather temperatures will raise consumption.
Q: Does Synthetic Natural Gas (SNG) really have the same energy values as natural gas from Ikhil?
A: Yes it does. SNG is a blend of propane and air, and we are able to adjust the blend to match the equivalent of the energy in the gas from Ikhil. We take test samples of both SNG and natural gas to ensure equivalent values.
Q: What is the status of the franchise agreement?
A: Inuvik Gas and the Town are in continued discussions and are committed to reaching an agreement to ensure that the existing distribution system and SNG system will continue to be available for use at the end of the existing franchise. We believe the distribution system, including the SNG system, is of significant long-term value to the Town and is a critical component of any effective long-term heating solution for the community. Until an alternative is developed, it can be used to deliver natural gas from the Ikhil well, SNG, and can be easily modified to handle liquefied natural gas (LNG).
- We encourage customers to have their appliances maintained annually, which will improve reliability and efficiency, as well as safety.
- Ensuring all windows in your home are closed and lowering your home temperature can improve efficiencies.
- We recommend customers consider year-round billing (also known as equalized payments) as an alternative to ‘billing per use’. It balances the costs over the year, therefore bills will not increase as drastically during the cold weather months.
Please be advised that the Inuvik Gas office is temporarily closed to due to a fire which occurred at the Inuvialuit Development Corporation building on Sunday evening, August 25th, 2013.
No one was injured and no damage was sustained to the IGL Office.
Customers can continue to make payments on their
account at a temporary office located at:
News North Networks Dome
9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
The Account Inquiry and No Charge 24/7 Emergency Line remain in service:
Account Inquiries: 867.777.3422
No Charge 24/7 Emergency Line: 867.777.4427
Arrangements are underway to restore normal business operations as soon as possible.
For updates and information, please continue to refer to our website.